For the last 2 years I’ve been drawing a different picture on my son’s brown paper lunch bag for every day he’s gone to school. They take about a half hour each, I color them with colored pencils, and he usually gives them to friends once he’s eaten his lunch. He’s just finished up 1st grade, so I thought I’d share some of my favorites.
The bags have gotten a fair amount of attention (850,000+ views on an imgur gallery I set up) and by some blogs are carrying it. I love reading all the comments, they’ve been great, but there have been a lot of repeat questions/assumptions. Soto clear some things up…
- I am, in fact employed. I’m a freelance deisgner/illustrator, working about 40 hours all said and done.
- The bags take me about 30 minutes to do. I’ll draw them during my lunch, and color them after the kids go to bed.
- I take the pictures before packing the lunch, no way they’d survive a day with a first grader.
- My son typically gives the bags to friends and teachers. He’s kept a few he really likes, but he accustomed to Dad drawing all the time. It’s his normal.
- I can do commissions, if you’re interested reach out to me and let me know.